The demand for conversions is constantly increasing as more and more companies seek ways to reduce weight, improve efficiency, and save on cost. Delaney offers a variety of plastics, including ABS, PC, PC/ABS, PPS, PEI, Nylon, and many more.
Plastic offers several benefits that can be considered:
- Lower weight versus machined or cast metal
- Lower cost for complex metal to plastic conversions (reduction of several machining operations into a single molding process)
- Corrosion is not a factor
- Design freedom (can add radii and soft edge areas versus extra machining in metal)
- Opportunity to integrate two materials into the same component to obtain a sealing edge or soft touch edge
The process of metal to plastic conversion starts with an assessment of the moldability of the component, followed by feedback on design changes for manufacturability (DFM) via injection molding. Once the design is updated, a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) can be performed to understand loading, stresses, and base material strength requirements.
Armed with this information, Delaney works with material suppliers to identify resins with the proper characteristics for the application. This includes an analysis of material strength, environmental exposure, chemical resistance needs, etc.